Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

A Worthwhile Read?

I try my best to write the kind of books I like to read, usually a mixture of sci-fi, adventure, and fantasy with a dash of mystery, a little bit of romance, all infused with some deeper meaning. I do not like ( or write, I hope! ) books that are preachy, dull, agonizingly slow-paced, or that divert from the main storyline so often that I lose track of the story! I especially don't like a book that doesn't mean much of anything in the long run. I also despise being slapped in the face by dozen-upon-dozens of character or place names---usually difficult to pronounce, spell, remember, or keep straight! Deliver us from such authors!

No, give me a good book that makes sense, is well-written and plotted, holds my interest, transports me into another world or time, and introduces me to characters I can identify with---whether I love them or hate them! Give me a book I don't constantly have to struggle to decipher ( heck, I'm no genius, but I'm not a dummy either! ) When I finish reading, I want to be able to think honestly, "That was a worthwhile read!"

Am I asking too much? Agree or disagree?

Til next time, then---

MRTighe

2 comments:

  1. Definitely agree! Economy is the essence of a good story. Stick to what is pertinent to the tale...Fortunately, yours falls into this category!
    Soon will be reviewing as soon as I can get my thoughts clear on how I want to express it.
    Cannot stand any book, film etc. with too many characters; by the time I figure out who is who the story is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even some of my favorite authors fall victim to the "too many characters" syndrome!I have to really, really like them to stick with such a story!

    ReplyDelete