Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

One Must Have One's BBC

If you haven't yet caught the BBC shows "Sherlock" and "Being Human", you're missing a couple of treats! I recommend you try them both; they're available on DVD.

"Sherlock" is a present-day take on the iconic detective. Benedict Cumberbatch plays Sherlock, a much younger, though still quirky character. Martin Freeman plays his faithful, hapless sidekick, Dr. Watson. As an aside, Freeman will take on the role of Bilbo Baggins in Peter Jackson's film version of The Hobbit. Took me a while to connect the name with the actor, but I was thrilled to death when I did! Believe me, Martin Freeman will make the perfect Bilbo, better even than the incredible Ian Holm.

"Sherlock" is modern, funny, and fast-paced. The main character appears to be much more active, due to a more physical actor, than the usual media conception of Holmes, though I adored Jeremy Brett in the role. Cumberbatch brings much of the endearing qualities of Brett's Holmes.

The music for this show ( and I wish I could recall the name of the composer, dang it! ) is absolutely perfect, an upbeat, modern, toe-tapping theme that, oddly enough, reminds me of belly-dancing music.

"Being Human" is about a young woman's ghost who ends up living with a hot, young vampire full of angst and a young man who's a werewolf and still coming to terms with what he's become. It's a riot, but can also be chilling. All three principles are engaging, sympathetic characters. And by the by, Aidan Turner, who plays the vampire, Mitchell, will also play a role as one of the dwarves in The Hobbit movies!

I cannot wait to see The Hobbit, Parts 1&2. According to PJ, it's going to be a couple years at least! Ah, well---in the meantime I think you'll definitely find it worthwhile to check out "Sherlock" and "Being Human".

God bless the BBC!

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment