Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Musical Inspiration

For inspiration I frequently write to musical accompaniment. I choose a piece that suits the mood of whatever I'm working on at the moment. For instance, if it's a battle scene, I'll choose something martial, loaded with excitement, danger, or valor. If I'm writing something solemn, I might pick a slow, classical piece, maybe a selection from The Lord of the Rings albums, or an aria sung by Jackie Evancho or The Priests.

I also love writing to the soundtrack from Eclipse, the third Twilight Saga movie; it's hip and upbeat and fast-paced. Some of my other favorites are Celtic in origin, more sad and soulful. Music helps me get into the mood I'm trying to evoke, capture it on paper as best I can; sometimes, I just close my eyes and envision a scene. Often, I use music to help me get into the head of one of my characters, to feel what he or she is feeling.

Music also helps me to relax, yet keep my mind in the game. I imagine it would prove helpful if ever I come down with a case of writer's block! I'd certainly give it a try. Music, like any art  form, like a good book, enriches life and makes it more full and meaningful.

All for now---must get back to my editing. Think I'll do it to music!

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment