Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Some Writing Techniques ( And Advice! )

When I started writing fiction many long years ago, I found that the best way for me to work is to concentrate on one "scene" at a time, like the acts of a play. I begin by considering what the main point of the scene is and how best to get that point across to the reader. I think about what characters are involved and what setting is most suitable. I never outline a story. I just develop a good idea of what I want to achieve in the end and what needs to be done in order to get there. Some authors find they work best using other methods---I just do whatever works best for me.

When I finish a book or a short story, I let it sit and "marinate" for some time before I go back over it. Then with fresh eyes, I review and critique my own work more objectively---as if someone else had written it! In that way I don't get too emotionally attached to my work---one of the major hurdles authors have to deal with.

Another helpful technique I use is to just sit and think about my characters: their backgrounds, feelings, and motives. I ask myself questions about them, try to picture them in my mind, listen to them speak. Once I have a clear idea who they are, I find it easier to write for them.

Now I'm not advising anyone else to write the same way I do. I wouldn't expect them to! I'm only suggesting that you find the methods that work for you and perfect them. Above all, don't have the attitude that every word you write is perfect and therefore should be chiseled in stone! Try many different ways of expressing each thought until you're satisfied you've got it right.

And remember, a wee bit of bending rules is usually okay, but be very careful! I've been known to bend a few rules myself---but more experienced writers can get away with a heck of a lot more than us newbies can! And all writers are bound to make a few mistakes from time to time---all you can do is learn from them and try your darnedest not to repeat them!Good luck!

All for now,

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment