Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Brain Food? Yum!

 I guess I have a weirdly-wired brain! It remembers trivia clearly and in detail---but not what I had for breakfast this morning---or even if I had breakfast! Oh, well! Guess it can't be expected to remember everything! The strangest stuff gets stuck in my head, and I can't manage to clear out all the junk! Sometimes that actually comes in handy in my writing, especially when I realize that I know something that I didn't know I knew. How's that for clarity?

For instance, I don't think I ever mentioned that I grew up reading the National Geographic Magazine from cover to cover, and I remember an amazing amount of that information. I credit that magazine with sparking many of my lifelong interests, including art history, anthropology, archaeology, zoology, botany, and marine biology, as well as my early interest in outer space.

As Rona Scott notes early on in Judgment on Tartarus, reading is a painless way to broaden your education---and it costs relatively little! So whether it's magazines, or books, or Kindle, keep reading; take things in like a sponge. Take a page from the Sword of Griffindor in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books: it repels whatever would harm it and takes in only what will make it stronger! Follow that advice and, whatever your creative endeavors, they are bound to succeed!

Until next time,

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment