Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tear-jerkers

There are still a few parts of The Tartarus Trilogy that, even after all the years of working on them, I can't read without getting all teary-eyed. Those scenes touch something deep within me, triggering an emotional response. I relate it to listening to a familiar piece of music that touches you so deeply you can't help but cry---every bloody time you hear it! For me, some of these musical pieces include Ave Maria, Danny Boy, Amazing Grace, Abide with Me, and May It Be ( from LOTR. )

I get that same instinctive emotional reaction to certain pieces of film as well: Boromir's death scene in The Fellowship of the Ring, the final scene with D'lenn and Sheridan's spirit in B5's "Sleeping in Light", Chris Eccleston's regeneration scene in Doctor Who, The Passion of the Christ, among many others.

No matter how many times I've viewed or listened to these tear-jerkers---no matter how determined I am NOT to cry this time!---get out the hankies! I just can't seem not to react. It's a purely emotional response, obviously not something I can control. Then I wonder why in the world I'd want to?

Our emotions are unique to each of us; they are part of who we are. What touches a deep chord in me may, in fact, leave you cold, and vice versa. Or we might just find that we share a similar emotional response---a wordless bond that needs no explanation.

Unfortunately, I've read a great many books, watched many TV shows and films that left me cold, with no emotional response whatsoever. I can't help thinking this doesn't bode well for the current state of those arts!

Hanky anyone?

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment