Total Pageviews

Friday, April 6, 2018

This Can't Be Science Fiction!

I'll never forget this comment made by one of the members of my writing group ( the only one I ever belonged to! ) After reading the first page or two of the rough draft of the second novel in my Tartarus Trilogy, True Son of Tartarus, he complained loudly that there were too many homey details for my work to actually be science fiction.

To say the least, I was flabbergasted. It was obvious to me that this guy hadn't read much science fiction and clearly didn't understand it.  Probably all he knew of science fiction was through TV shows, movies, and comics. I restrained myself from going for his jugular and summoned enough patience to calmly address his concerns.

I explained that science fiction, though it deals with fictional, futuristic people and events, has to be believable. The author wants his/her readers to be able to relate to and identify with the characters, and to envision each scene, no matter how improbable the situation.

Therefore, in the opening chapter of True Son, a recently married couple wakes up and proceeds with their daily activities, such as dressing, doing their hair, eating breakfast, etc.: ordinary activities that we can all relate to. Nothing bizarre.

But this particular couple is unique; theirs is a mixed-marriage: she's Terran and he's Tartarian ( the True Son of the title.) The planet they live on is not present-day Earth, but a strange new world with vastly different customs and different beliefs.

In order to make these characters believable and familiar--comfortable for my readers--I had to include some homey details about their lives. Once able to relate to this couple, my readers would be more than willing to go along with them on the strange, out-of-the-ordinary adventures which the couple will face in the remaining chapters.

I do not know if the guy I referred to in the beginning ever really "got it", but I hope this helps you to understand not only my writing, but the work of many other writers of science fiction.

Please keep reading, my friends, and never stop writing, whatever your genre may be!
MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment