Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Other Way Around

While I was watching my DVD of the first season of The Amazing Race, I was surprised to learn that part of the first Star Wars movie, A New Hope, was filmed in Africa---in a place called Tatooine! Never heard of it except in that movie. But the setting was perfect, never would've guessed it wasn't a set constructed for the movie.

For a long time now I've realized that SF media have influenced real life. A prime example: Star Trek's communicators are now our cell phones, part of our daily lives. But for some strange reason, I never realized that it also worked the other way around!

Now I have to wonder, if we discover an ice-planet, will it automatically be christened Hoth? Or maybe, ahem!---Tartarus? How about naming our next space station Babylon 5? I'd be all for that. It would be very appropriate, I think. After all, there is a precedent. Do you recall that the first space shuttle was named Enterprise? Unfortunately, that vehicle was a prototype never intended to actually go into space. Too bad.

Do you have any other suggestions about naming future space-related items or places? Ships, colonies, planets, moons, asteroids, etc. See what you can come up with!

Keep on reading, writing, and dreaming,

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment