Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Westercon Memories

I attended my first Westercon in the early 70s. I flew for the first time, from Boston to Santa Barbara, California along with a group of friends who were all scifi fans. The con was held at a college dormitory very near the coast. For another first, I got to see and wade in the Pacific Ocean.

I distinctly remember the great food. The college cafeteria was fantastic. I had the best coffee there that I've ever had in my life. There was also a good restaurant that was the scene of my fondest memory.

I was eating roast chicken for dinner and had removed the crispy skin to eat last since it's my favorite part. The famous writer Isaac Asimov came by and snatched the chicken skin from my plate. He downed it, smacked his lips, and said, "That's my favorite part!"

With a sorrowful sniff, I replied, "Mine too!"

Now lest you think that Isaac was being totally rude to a complete stranger, let me explain; he and I were both members of NESFA ( the New England Science Fiction Association. ) Thus we were acquainted, and he had attended several meetings which were held in my apartment. Isaac was a complicated and unique individual as well as a world-famous author.

There were many other memorable moments at that Westercon. For the first and only time, I was brave enough to wear a costume to a scifi convention, even though I didn't compete in the contest. Nowadays, it's called cosplay.

I also remember briefly meeting Ray Bradbury in an elevator--another extremely famous scifi author! He was dressed in an immaculate white suit he referred to as his "Ice Cream Suit!" That was also the con where I met such Star Trek notables as David Gerrold, Greg Jein, and Bjo Trimble.

One evening as fans were gathered outdoors to talk and relax, a bagpiper in full Scottish regalia serenaded us. It was both moving and memorable.

The Society for Creative Anachronism ( SCA ) set up tents behind the dorm and held a Medieval tournament complete with swordplay. I later became a member of the SCA.

Another top memory was a panel chaired by the above mentioned Bjo Trimble, a famous Star Trek fan. During the panel, she asked all the females who had joined fandom because of ST to stand up. My friends and I, along with many others, stood up to applause. Until that point, fandom had been largely male-dominated since its inception.

That Westercon was an unforgettable experience and had a great deal of influence on my life. I was hooked on fandom and attended as many cons on both coasts as I could. If you've never attended a scifi convention or comic con, give one a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed, and you'll make some wonderful memories.

Keep reading and keep on writing,
MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment