Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Conventioneering!

     In 1969 I attended my first science fiction convention with a group of friends. It was a Boskone, fittingly enough held in Boston. Almost instantly, I fell in love with "cons." Over the next several years I traveled far and wide to attend cons in Toronto, San Francisco, L.A., New York, etc.

     After getting married and starting a family, my con-going became more sporadic and closer to home. I even took my infant son to a Boskone, then my son and daughter #1. But once I had three to take care of, several con-less years passed until the kids were old enough to stay with relatives. That's when hubby and I were able to attend our first Worldcon. Ever since then, we've attended as many cons as our time and budget will allow.

     Here are a few of the many reason I became addicted to conventions:

     #1.   They are fun!
     #2.   Creative, intellectual folks find them stimulating.
     #3.   You meet and make friends with other people who share many of your interests and passions.
     #4.   If you're like me, you'll love staying in hotels and eating in restaurants: no cooking, no      cleaning!
     #5.   You get to meet famous people. ( I've met authors like Isaac Asimov, Ben Bova, Ray Bradbury, and Poul Anderson. Also actors like the late Michael O'Hare and Leonard Nimoy. )

     My latest foray into--ahem!--"con-dom" has been going to Comic Cons, not as an attendee, but as a vendor of books and collectibles. Comic Cons are quite a bit different from fan-run conventions, more like a cross between book signings, movie openings, and regular sci-fi cons.

     At my age I realize that  my con-going days may eventually come to an end, but I'll always have wonderful memories of the places I've been and the extraordinary people I've met. I intend to keep going to cons 'til I drop. If you've never attended a sci-fi convention or a comic con, please give it a try. You don't know what you're missing!

Keep on reading and keep writing!

MRTighe

No comments:

Post a Comment